My contents page is one of the easier documents to create because whilst designing, I have been looking at different magazines such as VIBE magazine and NME for different ideas. I thought looking at these two magazine would be ideal for me because they both target my potential audience.
I started my contents page by editing the main image, which covered the whole page. The image shows a music artist looking down, symbolising concentration and determination. The fact that readers cannot see his eyes also creates a mysterious atmosphere. I used the posterize effect in order to achieve a cartoon affect (I have used this same effect on my front cover image), I thought this enhanced the aesthetics of the image.
The heading 'CONTENTS' is in the same font as the front cover, 'Defused'. There is also a yellow stroke around the lettering. I have kept this font throughout all my documents the same because it stands out and is consistent.
I came up with six sections for my magazines, for example 'Gigs', 'Win' and 'Reviews'. I used the font Myriad Pro, which looks simple and professional. By looking at many magazines, I realised their contents page is simple yet effective. the first draft of my contents page had only the section titles aligned against the left side because I thought this would be the first place where the readers eyes become attracted to and by aligning the text on that side, the image becomes more powerful because readers can see his jacket.
The second draft has more text, however one thing I realised when receiving feedback was that my font size varied magnificently. For example the words 'DRAKE 2011' and 'DJG' stand out from the rest of the text, although this was intentional because they were both front cover story's, it made the document look unprofessional. i also numbered the section, in white white font colour with a red stroke, which enhanced the aesthetics. I also added a slight yellow stroke to the lettering of the section titles, which attracted readers.
For my third draft, I made the text size 12 so that readers can read the document without becoming confused. The story's that are not covered on the front page, are in the white font colour and the sky blue colour for the story's that are. By using the brush tool, I was able to produce a star symbol. Also by putting them in the bottom and top corners of the text is effective because it enhances the aesthetics.
For my final draft, which can be found at the bottom of the post, I have kept all changes from the third draft, however I have placed the magazines name at the bottom right hand corner of the document to create brand recognition.
Final Contents Page



